Pages

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Pork Dinuguan sa Gata Recipe

Have you ever tried Pork Dinuguan sa Gata? This was a new dish to me up until I started college in Manila. Before I was introduced to it, I was only familiar with traditional dinuguan versions such as __pork dinuguan with “laman ng baboy” (this would have chopped __pork kasim or pique), dinuguan with “lamang loob” (pork inards), and the dinuguan with nothing but pork fat and pig ears. The latter sounds scary, but it does exist in many places.

Pork Dinuguan sa Gata

I must admit that I liked dinuguan sa gata the very moment I tasted it. My good buddy and myself went to a carinderia called Aling Sosing’s along Zobel-Roxas street in Makati (this was just a short walk away from Vito Cruz) to have lunch one day. We knew that the place serves good food judging by the crowd that it attracts. The line was quite long and we had to wait to be seated. I ordered a serving of dinuguan thinking that this was just the regular version that I was accustomed to eat. I was surprised (in a good way) and delighted after trying my first spoonful. It was so good. I liked how flavorful and creamy it was. I then learned that it was dinuguan sa gata. I am not sure as to where this version originated. However, I have a hunch that it was from the Bicol region. If you know some facts about this version of dinuguan, kindly share it by commenting below. I will appreciate if you can help provide more information about it, including its history. Thanks in advance.

Dinuguan sa Gata Recipe Panlasang Pinoy

Now let’s talk about how easy it is to cook this dish. Just like how I cook any dinuguan version, I started by sautéing the garlic and onion along with the pork. The pork should be tender before the blood can be added, so I boiled it in water for a while. The vinegar was added at the middle of the boiling process.

Before adding the pork blood, make sure that it is completely liquid and that there are no lumps of blood in it. You can use a kitchen strainer to filter the pork blood while pouring it into the cooking pot. The color usually turns to maroon after a few minutes of cooking and it eventually gets darker after a while. Make sure to cook it until it turns black.

Add the “gata” last. I prepare it by pouring the contents of my trusted gata mix (I am using Knorr Ginataang gulay mix) in lukewarm water and stir until it is completely diluted. I then pour it into the pot and cook it for a few minutes with the rest of the ingredients.

Dinuguan sa Gata Recipe

If you like dinuguan, I suggest that you consider this version. Who know, you might love it like I did.

Try this Pork Dinuguan sa Gata Recipe. Let me know what you think.

Pork Dinuguan sa Gata Recipe
 
Print
Prep time
Cook time
Total time
 
This is a recipe for Pork Dinuguan sa Gata
Author:
Recipe type: Pork
Cuisine: Filipino
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 1½ lbs. pork shoulder, sliced into cubes
  • 1 (40g) pack Knorr Ginataang Gulay Mix
  • 1 cup pork blood
  • 4 pieces long green pepper (silig pansigang)
  • ½ cup vinegar
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 2¼ cups water
  • ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons cooking oil
  • Salt to taste
Instructions
  1. Heat oil in a cooking pot.
  2. Sauté garlic and onion until the onion becomes soft
  3. Add the pork. Sauté until the color turns light brown.
  4. Add the ground black pepper. Stir.
  5. Pour-in 1 ½ cups water. Let boil. Cover and continue to cook in low to medium heat for 20 minutes.
  6. Pour the vinegar. Let the liquid reboil. Stir and continue to cook until the pork gets tender.
  7. Pour the pork blood into the pot while stirring. Cook for 12 minutes. Add salt if needed.
  8. Prepare the gata by combining ¾ cup lukewarm water and ginataang gulay mix. Stir until well blended.
  9. Pour the gata into the cooking pot. Stir and cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
  10. Add the long green chili peppers. Cook for 2 minutes more.
  11. Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
  12. Share and enjoy!
Nutrition Information
Serving size:  4
3.5.3226

Dinuguan sa Gata Panlasang Pinoy

Watch the video on How to Cook Pork Dinuguan sa Gata

No comments :

Post a Comment